Playing In The Dirt: Enjoying the Winona Lake Off-road Trails
We are extremely fortunate to have some of the best mountain bike trails in Indiana right in our backyard. Not only do we have nearly 10 miles of awesome single track, but the trail system offers something for everyone wanting to get out there and give it a try. Whether you are a Cat 1 racer, or just beginning, we guarantee you will have a great experience.
Sections of the trail are marked accordingly for your skill level; green is our basic trail and includes 7.6 miles, while black sections, are much more advanced trails, equal an additional 2 miles.
It takes a lot of effort and volunteer time to keep our trail system at its finest. Our maintenance volunteers, trail builders, tree removers, and clean-up crews work over 1500 hours on average per year. So, to the guys and gals who help to make our trail system one of the best, we want to thank you for all your hard work. We would also like to thank Dane and Mary Louise Miller for allowing us to use the land for our recreational and competitive needs.
Think you want to get involved? But aren’t sure how or where to get started. Here’s a few suggestions:
- KCV Cycling Club – KCV is our local, non-profit advocacy organization helping to raise awareness for bicycling and walking as a valid transportation option and a great recreational activity for health and wellness. Monthly meetings are held the last Tuesday of every month (except December) starting at 8pm in the Mad Room at Mad Anthony’s Lake City Taphouse. Visit www.kcvcycling.org for more details.
- Join a Maintain-A-Mile team – Groups of volunteers willing to spend some time on the trails not running or riding, but actually checking the trails for damage, erosion, down trees or just needing to be trimmed and cleaned team up to form these yearly crews. Pick a section of trail you want to help maintain, and work out a schedule with the Mile leader. This is a huge help in taking care of 130 acres of forest and 10 miles of trail.
- Check out the trail website at www.winonalaketrails.com. It is regularly updated with information about the trails, whether it is trail conditions, events that may be happening, and even when trail maintenance is going on.
When out on the trails, please remember these general rules:
- If riding, always wear a helmet and check trail conditions before riding.
- If riding, follow the green and black arrows. And limit skidding. Don’t take or make shortcuts and don’t build new trails without approval.
- If walking, or running travel opposite bicyclists and go against the green and black arrows so you and mountain bikers can see each other quicker and easier.
- Be courteous: don’t litter, clean up after yourself, help pick up trash, and keep dogs on a leash.
- Have fun!