Helpful Bike Safety Resources:
- ABC Quick Checklist for a Safe Bike Ride
- Share the Road: Tips for Motorists and Cyclists when Sharing Roadways
One of the best ways to become more comfortable and further enjoy the time on your bike is to take a cycling class. James Bausch, our county’s only certified safe cycling instructor is delighted to offer various classes in our community. Some of the topics covered in the classes include: hazard avoidance techniques, where to ride on the road, how to fix a flat, rules of the road for cyclists, and basic mechanic skills.
These classes are guaranteed to make you more comfortable and confident on your bike and thus enjoy your ride even more! Check out our calendar of events page to find out when the next class is being held.
Facts and Fiction About Cycling
- Facts and Fiction about Cycling Sharrows
- Facts and Fiction about Cycling Bikelanes
- Facts and Fiction about Cycling which Side of the Road
Cycling Rules of the Road
Indiana Bicycle Laws and Bicycle Indiana Suggestions
- Indiana Bicycle laws apply to bicycles whether you are on the street, highway, or bike path.
- When riding a bike on the street, the cyclist has the same rights and responsibilities as any motorist. This includes full use of the lane and observation of traffic signals and lane directions.
- You must have a seat on your bike, and you cannot carry other riders if they do not have a seat.
- Cyclists may ride up to two (2) abreast on the street, but no more than two.
- On a bike, you cannot carry anything that prevents you from keeping both hands on the handlebars.
- According to state law, your bike must have an audible signal device but cannot have a siren or a whistle.
- If you are riding ½ hour before sunrise or after sunset, you must have a white light in front and a red light or reflector in back, visible from 500 ft.
- Your bike must have working brakes.
- Yield to pedestrians.
- Signal your turns.
- Always wear a helmet.
- Ride in a straight line, and do not swerve between parked cars.
- Wear light colored clothing and use additional lights at night.
For complete information, visit bicycleindiana.org
Warsaw Indiana Ordinances that Pertain to Bikes & Cycling
Sec. 74-271. – Traffic laws applicable to persons riding bicycles.
Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway shall be subject to the statutes of the state and to the provisions of this article and this chapter applicable to the driver of a vehicle, except such provisions which by their nature can have no application. For the purpose of this section, a sidewalk or city-owned property shall be deemed to be a roadway and shall be subject to the same traffic control as is the street adjacent to which such sidewalk parallels, or to which such property lies.
Sec. 74-272. – Manner of riding.
No operator of a bicycle shall cause his bicycle to weave or curve to and fro upon a sidewalk or roadway and shall ride the bicycle in a straight and continuous line only.
Sec. 74-273. – Operation on sidewalks.
No person shall operate a bicycle upon a sidewalk within the business district of the city. When bicycles are permitted to be operated upon sidewalks, the operator of a bicycle shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian.
Sec. 74-274. – Speed.
No person shall operate his bicycle at a speed greater than that which permits him to bring his bicycle to a stop within the assured clear distance ahead.
Sec. 74-275. – Parking.
No person shall park a bicycle upon a street other than against the curb, nor upon a sidewalk in a rack to support the bicycle or against a building or at the curb except in such a manner as to afford no obstruction to vehicular or pedestrian traffic.
Sec. 58-46. – Riding or operating bicycles, rollerblades, roller skates and skateboards.
(a) No persons shall ride or operate a bicycle, skateboard, rollerblades or roller skates on any sidewalk or pedestrian walkway at the following Center Lake Parks: Municipal Park, Nye Park, Bixler Park, Warsaw Biblical Gardens and Central Park.
(b) Skate board use will be allowed only at the Mantis Skate Park, and BMX bike riding will be allowed only at the “Hire BMX” Park.